This recipe is for a simple chicken and aparagus pie that is so easy to make and packed with flavor!
You’ll need only 15 minutes of hands-on time to prep and mix the ingredients, and then 45 minutes in the oven while you clean the kitchen, or sit back and relax until dinner is ready.
PLUS, this simple recipe needs only 6 fresh ingredients and some spices! It’s Keto-friendly, Low-Carb approved and 100% Gluten-Free.
You will need:
- canned asparagus
- cheddar cheese
- herbs and spices (paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper)
- Brown onions in oil for 10-15 minutes, preparing the rest of the ingredients while the onion cooks. (Photo 1)
- Add the shredded chicken to the onions. (Photo 2)
- Add all the spices to the pan and stir until everything is well mixed. (Photo 3)
- Grease the pie dish and add the chicken and onion to the mix, then the asparagus on top, mixing gently. (Photo 4)
- Top with shredded cheese, then whisk together milk and eggs and pour over the ingredients. (Photo 5)
- Bake for 45 minutes, then allow it to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving. (Photo 6)
Store this chicken and asparagus pie in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, or keep it in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Using a food thermometer, the internal temperature of the pie/quiche will be between 165-185°F. Alternatively, insert a knife into the center of the quiche and pull it out. If it’s clean, it is done.
Crustless Cheesy Chicken and Asparagus Pie
- ½ lb cooked chicken* *see notes [250g, about 2 chicken breasts shredded with two forks]
- 2 white onions [chopped]
- 1 can asparagus [14oz/400g can size – drained and chopped into bitesize pieces]
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt [we used regular fine table salt]
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil [of choice, for cooking and greasing your pie dish]
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- Cook the onion in a little bit of oil until the start to brown, 10-15 minutes. Use the time while the onion cooks to prepare the rest of the ingredients, but remember to stir the onions every minute or so.
- Once the onions are nicely browned, add the chicken and all the spices into the pan and stir until everything is well combined
- Use a paper towel to wipe a bit of oil on the inside of your pie dish.
- Now, add the onion and chicken to the pie dish.
- Add the asparagus pieces of top and gently mix.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Now, in a small bowl, mix together the milk and eggs and carefully pour over the ingredients in the pie dish. Be sure to gently shake the dish a little bit to help the egg mix spread into all the nooks and crannies.
- Slide into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- When done, allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.